-->

Hawaiian-Japanese Tacos and Perfect Tofu at Suzume

I had always seen Suzume, a small Hawaiian-Japanese spot, on the corner of Lorimer and Devoe as I walked past, but I didn't have a chance to pop in until a couple months ago. I had a quiet lunch at the bar by myself, and it was tasty and relaxing.

I started with the irresistible Aloha Taco Program, which came neatly lined up and colorfully-adorned. Getting with The Program meant one of each the tacos, including an Eden Farms pork shoulder with radish and pickled pineapple, an organic chicken adobo, and a Cape Cod hake with  pickled carrot and kewpie mayo. Bring on the pickles!



That wasn't enough for me, so I grabbed a bowl of tofu noodles with pickled red onion, ginger, scallion and cucumbers. With its perfectly-fried tofu (I think it was coated in potato starch, agedashi-style), tart and sweet red onions, cucumbers that tasted quick-pickled, scallions and chewy noodles, it made me feel like I could go run a marathon.


I didn't, but later that night, I did go on a marathon bar crawl with friends, so that Suzume did me good. There are few things I love more than a quiet lunch of simple yet inventive Asian food and a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment